Basic Tackling Fundamentals reviews and demonstrates the basic keys to sound tackling. The DVD features a series of 10 different drills that are appropriate for all competitive levels. Several of the drills can be performed without helmets or pads. Some of the drills are position-specific. A few of the drills are designed to be situation specific. Collectively, the drills provide an exceptional resource for coaches who want to enhance the tackling skills and techniques of their athletes.
Among the topics covered:
- Progressive tackling drill
- Alley drill
- Gap drill
- Open-field tackling drill
- Getting past blockers
- Defensive back and linebacker drill
- Wide receiver hitch open-field drill
- Mirror drill
- Sled drill
- Tim Carlson is the defensive coordinator and the defensive line coach at Jefferson High School in Bloomington, Minnesota, a position he has held since 1996. A coach at the interscholastic level for almost two decades, Carlson has coached a variety of other positions during his career, including linebackers, wide receivers, and offensive linemen. For a number of years, he has also been extensively involved in coaching youth sports in the Bloomington area. Carlson and his wife, Kelly, have two sons, Joe and John.